Glorious Garden Gates
When coming over the threshold of a home, the gate usually gives the first impression. Keeping it well maintained is important. Use Hammerite’s specialist metal paint to get the task done with the knowledge your gate will be decorated and protected for years to come.
- Using a wire brush or sandpaper, remove all loose rust and flaking paint from the gate.
- Wash it down thoroughly with diluted detergent, rinse with clean water and allow to dry. This ensures any grease or dirt which could prevent the paint from adhering to the gate is removed.
- If the gate is made from bare zinc, aluminium or galvanised metal, use Hammerite Direct to Galvanised Metal Paint, otherwise we used Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint in Smooth finish.
- A good quality, narrow headed brush is best for this task, so you can reach the ornate parts of the gate structure more easily.
- Apply a thin coat before leaving to dry for 4 hours, then apply a second coat for best results.